alternator question

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator question
From: jeff m <jmackd1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:04:27 -0800 (PST)
for 31 years, the lucas alternator has been faithfully outputting 14.6 volts,
it still does but only when it wants to now. Sometimes i can drive for 5
minutes the voltmeter will jump from 12 to 14, sometimes 1/2 hour. Once it
achieves 14.6 volts it stays there but i never know when it is going to go up
to 14. I'm one of the unusual ones that have never had electrical problems, i'm
assuming the alternator is going out but with my other vehicles when the
alternator goes out, it is out....Anyone else have similar problem?

Thanks,
Jeff
'75 TR6