Re: Thermoprobe sensor for thermostat, eletric fan

To: <MTRsix71@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <MTRsix71@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Thermoprobe sensor for thermostat, eletric fan
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 8:08:12 -0600
Marty,

Since you have an adjustable T-stat, you have flexibility in probe placement.
I have mine inserted about 6-inches below the bottom of the upper radiator tank
on the right (passengers) side.  I did not use zip ties to mount the probe to
the radiator face (the kit came with an adhesive foam rubber patch instead).
Along with tweaking the T-stat setpoint, my fan kicks in just as the temp
needle in the cockpit approaches mid-scale and kicks off after a slight
overshoot past mid scale.  The fan rarely, if ever, comes on at speed (my
ammeter is my ON/OFF gauge).  However, this discussion appeared here before and
I believe the consensus was to insert the temp sensor in the bottom of the
radiator.  A popular move I recall was to install a NPT-threaded temp sensor
directly in boss soldered in the lower radiator tank.  All I can tell you is my
setup has worked flawlessly for three driving seasons so far and required
minimal effort to install.

My T-stat/relay is mounted to the upper right radiator support brace above the
charcoal canister and Ive run all the power/control cabling under the right
wing flange straight to the battery.  The relay override wire then continues
behind the battery tray into the cockpit where I have a SPST ground switch
mounted above my left knee.  This offers a relatively unobtrusive install
without challenging the Lucas fusebox with a high-current draw.  I also have
a 60-amp Bosch alternator.

Rick O.
72 TR6