RE: I may have a serious problem

To: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: I may have a serious problem
From: "Karen Bentley" <mmbent@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:32:08 -0500
Hello I am new to this list so I'll take a stab at this
. Here is what I would do. First take off the water pump belt, make sure
the water pump bearings are good, while your there check the alternator.
Now that there is no belt grab hold of the crankshaft pulley and see if you
can twist it. Maybe the rubber has broken. Wiggle the front crankshaft fan
extension, wiggle the fan. This of course should all be done with the
engine OFF!! If you haven't found anything start the engine. You can run it
for brief periods without the water pump and fan. If the noise is still
there the next thing I would check is the valve adjustment again. With the
kind of compression you are running the rocker arm geometry is going to be
off unless you installed shorter push rods or shimmed the rocker shaft
pedestals. Do any of the valve adjusters have a lot more or less of their
threads showing than the rest? Take a look inside the valve cover, any
evidence of something hitting? Take look at the push rods going down to the
lifters. Do they all have adequate clearance to the holes in the cylinder
head? Start the engine again,This will make a bit of a mess but watch the
rockers in action, do they all seem to be operating the same? Is the noise
still there? If it is I think you have checked everything you can
externally so it may be time to pull off the timing chain cover. Maybe the
tensioner went bad. The new repros that I have seen are junk so it wouldn't
surprise me if it somehow failed. Good luck and chin up. It is not the
worst thing that could happen. So far all of the connecting rods are still
inside of the block which in my book qualifies as "the worst thing to
happen to an engine"!

Craig Bentley
1971 TR-6