RE: I may have a serious problem

To: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I may have a serious problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:59:01 -0800
        Andy:

        While you don't specifically say so, it sounds as though you are
still
running with your original cam chain, sprockets, and tensioner. These
parts are
cheap enough that anyone who builds an engine should replace them as
cheap insurance
against needing to go back into the engine in a couple thousand miles.
        When upgrading your engine as extensively as you have, the
components in the
engine are under more stress. When those components are 30 years old and
have gone
many miles, their lifetime is appreciably shortened.
        It sounds as though you already know what is wrong - the cam
drive is getting
sloppy for some reason. You can use a hose like a stethoscope and
localize the noise
better and perhaps confirm your diagnosis.
        If you did not replace the cam drive chain and sprockets when
you did the rebuild,
I would do so now should you need to go into the engine, even if they
are fine for the
moment. But then I am anal about this stuff.

        Cheers,

        Vance