[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Engine runs but overheats]]

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Engine runs but overheats]]
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:27:43 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [Fwd: Re: Engine runs but overheats]
Date:   Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:35:42 -0400
From:   John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
To:     Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
CC:     6pack@autox.team.net

    I need to really thank Dick Taylor for suggesting I do a leak down
test before pulling the head off.  Because the new engine had gotten
quite hot during the first run and the thermostat had failed to open I
guess I started to worry about a blown head gasket.  Then oil droplets
floating in the radiator lead me to do a compression check showing low
compression in #1 cylinder.  Dick suggested a leak down test before
going any further.  It was very obvious that it was leaking into the
crankcase as you could feel the pressure coming from the breather and
the dipstick tube.  At this point, I figured I couldn't do any real
damage running it, so I gave it another 15 minute run at 2000 rpm.  The
engine still gets pretty hot, a little over 3 quarter on the temp gauge,
but it ran quite smoothly considering the carbs haven't been balanced or
adjusted yet.  I just rechecked the compression and #1 is within 5lbs of
the rest.  I assume that ring is just getting itself seated.  You've
made me a happy man!!!     John Mitchell  76 TR6( just needs the
interior put back in and I'm cruising:)