Re: differential mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: differential mounts
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:51:33 -0700
Michael---There should be no difference in the way these two diffs are
mounted, unless someone has modified one of them. Some owners like to
box them in for extra support, but the rubber "donuts" should still look
the same.
The rubber mounts should not be the cause of what you feel.

To help locate the sponginess, it will be necessary to jack up the back
end, and support the trailing arms with jack stands.  Hold part of the
drivetrain while rocking the open end forward and backward. Start this
at the road wheels and work your way back. Something should show up.
Expect to find a little play at some of these intersections.

Dick

Michael wrote:
Listers:
Sorry to bomb the list with postings today, but my Tahiti Blue '76 just
arrived off the truck and I have some inevitable questions. You guys are
fantastic--I got loads of responses to my posting about the color within
an hour. Thank you.
My first TR6, a '70 PI, had very little "play" in the driveline. By
that, I mean that there was no "clunk" when letting out the clutch
pedal.   I remember that this was a big deal because of issues
relating to damaged or broken differential mounts. I used to have a
great TR6 restoration book that discussed this in detail. Alas, I
bundled the book with the car when I sold it.
Anyway, my "new" '76 has a noticeable "give" in the driveline when I let
out the clutch. I got under the rear end to look at the diff, and I see
4 large mounting points with fat, pillowy black donuts separating the
diff from the mounting brackets. Everything looks very sanitary down
there without a hint of corrosion.

I vaguely remember 4 posts that located the diff on my '70, or maybe I
am remembering the photos from the book. This mounting looks completely
different and much less likely to break.
Anyway, please help me to understand what I am seeing here. Is the
"give" in the driveline a normal feature due to the 4 large rubber
mounts?   Is this some sort of modified mounting? Much of the rest of
the suspension has been modified with Konis all around, swaybars, etc.
Thanks as always.
Michael
Miami Beach, FL