differential mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: differential mounts
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:41:09 EDT
Listers:

Sorry to bomb the list with postings today, but my Tahiti Blue '76 just
arrived off the truck and I have some inevitable questions.  You guys are
fantastic--I got loads of responses to my posting about the color within an
hour.
Thank you.

My first TR6, a '70 PI, had very little "play" in the driveline.  By  that, I
mean that there was no "clunk" when letting out the clutch pedal.   I
remember that this was a big deal because of issues relating to  damaged or
broken
differential mounts.  I used to have a great TR6  restoration book that
discussed this in detail.  Alas, I bundled the book  with the car when I sold
it.

Anyway, my "new" '76 has a noticeable "give" in the driveline when I let  out
the clutch.  I got under the rear end to look at the diff, and I see 4  large
mounting points with fat, pillowy black donuts separating the diff from  the
mounting brackets.  Everything looks very sanitary down there without a  hint
of corrosion.  I vaguely remember 4 posts that located the diff on my  '70, or
maybe I am remembering the photos from the book.  This mounting  looks
completely different and much less likely to break.

Anyway, please help me to understand what I am seeing here.  Is the  "give"
in the driveline a normal feature due to the 4 large rubber mounts?   Is this
some sort of modified mounting?  Much of the rest of the suspension  has been
modified with Konis all around, swaybars, etc.

Thanks as always.

Michael
Miami Beach, FL