Re: British Racing Green Paint Color? (Late reply)

To: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Racing Green Paint Color? (Late reply)
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:25:29 +0100
Jerry Shaw wrote:
> Then there are Laurel Green (no Dupont code), which Piggott claims was BRG
> for awhile in '70-'72 ,  and then Emerald Green.

Then, with respect, Piggott of all people should know there is no true
colour for British Racing Green - and there never has been.

BRG has been oft mis-called BRG when it is just dark green.

A week ago, I attended the Centenary of Shelsley Walsh hillclimb in the UK
near my home and had plenty of opportunity to see racing and competition
cars of the pre-war period in various shades of BRG. Bentleys, ERA's and
many other machines - mostly all insured for nearly US$2 million a piece.
All of them sported BRG and all were different and this is simply because in
the pre-war days, no-one actually specified BRG pigment and hue. Mostly, it
was just dark green with an olive drab mixed into it. If Triumph or any
other manufacturer claimed its cars were painted in BRG, they misled the
customer because to this day, no-one knows exactly what it is.

Jonmac