Re: Bonnet Release

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Release
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:52:45 -0700
 John---I don't know the spring rate for replacement springs that are
sold, but I would think they should be stout enough to lift the hood. At
least far enough to get some fingers
into the gap. When you lower the hood and just rest it on the spring
plate, this is where the hood should return to when pulling the lever.
As mentioned by Mark, the spring length is adjustable. For starters, set
the length to 3 inches.  Have someone hold the release handle "open"
from inside the cockpit while you push down on the hood, as if you were
trying to latch it. The hood should pop back up about an inch. If it
doesn't, there could be another force working against it.  Off-set
conical rubbers, hood brackets in a bind, or??

The safety latch should not come into play here.

Dick

John wrote:
Hi Guys, We all hear about all the bonnet release problems. I replaced
my release cable, striker and spring mechanism with new parts from TRF.
The spring peice that mounts to the bonnet seems flimsy at best and I
see why so many guys remove that little release handle that mounts to
the bonnet. The problem on mine is that even with the new parts that
spring seem weak and barely lifts the bonnet. Has anyone dealt with and
solved these issues? Thanks guys.