Re: Misfire, need some hints.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Misfire, need some hints.
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:13:18 -0700
 Vance---Going to the heavier damper oil MAY be a clue as to whether the
misfire is air/fuel ratio related, and it's easy enough to do.  Another
way would be to go to a lighter oil, such as ATF, to see if the misfire
gets worse. This would not account for why this is just now showing up,
while using the same damper oil as before the project, so there must be
another fly in the ointment somewhere.

If you can't change the symptoms by richening or leaning out the A/F
ratio, take another look at  the wiring, to be sure a plug wire didn't
get separated from its metal tip. It kind of sounds like a possibility.
(Wiggle or pull on the wires with the engine idling? or use an ohmmeter)

Dick

Vance wrote:
                Folks:
                Got a mystery on my
hands. I think I can figure it out, but I would like some brainstorming
help from the list to make sure I cover all the bases.
                As you know, I got my
car put back together ( mostly. =:-o ) after a complete teardown last
winter for paint and a suspension rebuild.
                It ran purrfectly before
the teardown, but has had a low speed miss since being reassembled. The
engine, ignition, and carburetors were not disassembled or serviced,
they were merely removed and reinstalled.

....has me thinking that the air valves are rising too quickly, and the
engine goes lean briefly. I am running 10W-30 motor oil in the dampers.
I am thinking about experimenting with 80WT to test this theory. If it
is going lean, then 80wt should push it to the other extreme and it
should go rich, but not misfire. If that works, then I can fiddle until
I find the right viscosity for the dampers.
                Am I on the right track
here? I have wasted a lot of time pooping around with the ignition, and
now am thinking carbs. What else should I be checking?   The car looks
so sweet with the new paint, and it is frustrating that the motoring
experience has a fly in the ointment.

Any comments or thoughts are welcome.
                Thanks everyone!
                Vance