Re: Bonnet/hood alignment vs squeak

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet/hood alignment vs squeak
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:13:52 -0700
Harry---If the gaps along the hood lines are equal, I wouldn't loosen
any of the hood bolts. If the squeak is coming from the conical rubbers,
you can center them in this manner:
Rub chalk around the sheet metal circles in the hood where they drop
over these rubbers. Close the hood down far enough so this chalk will
transfer onto the rubbers. Incomplete circles on the rubbers will tell
you which way to move them. Re-chalk and try again till the circle is
complete.
When everything is as you want it, a light coating of Vaseline will
preserve them. Try a little on the rubber seals that goes across the
front and back of the engine bay, and the four wedges on the fenders, to
further reduce the possibility of squeaks.

If your hood gaps are out of line, write back for more info.

Dick

Harry wrote:
Friends,
I have a squeak in the bonnet, among other personal problems ;-) I have
discovered that it's on the aft edge of the bonnet on the passenger
side, where the hood meets the body, right behind/aft of the rubber cone
bumper where the rubber seal strip lies over the vertical lip of sheet
metal on the body proper.

Looking for some distilled wisdom regarding the sequence of hood
alignment, which bolts to loosen, etc.
Thanks,
Harry