Re: Clutch Pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Pressure
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:06:42 -0700
Sean---Many of us have experienced what you write about.  I'll report on
what I've found, starting with the easiest (tho less likely to be the
cause) to check.

1) If the Slave Cylinder piston sticks as you are releasing the clutch
pedal, the engagement of the clutch will be jerky. You may be able to
duplicate this stickiness by operating the SC pushrod by hand.
Disconnect the pushrod at the clutch operating arm. Push the rod
straight back into the SC bore (about 3/4") to see if it moves evenly.
If the resistance is too great, you may have to crack open the bleeder
screw momentarily while performing this test. (Close the bleeder before
releasing the pushrod)  If you find/ feel places along the bore where
the piston hangs, you'll want to disassemble the SC to examine it.

2) More likely, but more work to confirm, is the greater possibility
that the carrier sleeve for the throwout bearing is hanging up on the
shaft (front cover) that it rides on. This requires transmission removal
to inspect and/or replace the sleeve and/or the front cover, if worn.

3) You'll want to also check that the clutch disc moves freely on the
input shaft (splines) Also check stability of the two fork pins that
move the throwout bearing evenly, to and fro.  And of course the tapered
pin that goes thru the fork into the clutch operating shaft while all of
this is apart.

So far as why this happens more when everything is this area gets heated
up, I can't say for sure. I don't think it's expansion of the parts, as
they should all grow evenly. The first time I experienced this "sticky
clutch" all  did was to add a moly-grease between the carrier sleeve and
the front cover, and put it all back together. (All of the parts were
relatively new)
This lasted for a few months. The rest of the story is too long, and has
been told before!

Dick
'73

Sean wrote:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Clutch Pressure
Dear Listers,
I was driving my TR6 today and I noticed that as the car warms, the
clutch becomes more and more difficult to release slowly and controlled.
It seems to want to jump from disengaged to engaged an inch or so at a
time. The result is that smooth starts once the engine is warmed up are
quite difficult.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced these same symtoms and if so,
can you narrow the reasons to one or two components. Any help would be
appreciated from all. Thanks.
Sean
http://www.triumphowners.com/679
Sean O'Brien