TR6 mufflers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 mufflers
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:08:37 -0700
        Listers:

        A question for all of you out there. Has anyone found a "look
alike" TR6 muffler that flows worth a rip?
        I was chasing an exhaust leak on my new exhaust system, and out
of morbid curiosity I looked at the inlet pipes on my '74 muffler. It's
a miracle that the car runs at all with the stock muffler. There are a
handful of tiny perforations in the sides of the inlet pipes going into
the muffler. The end of the inlet pipe is
completely blocked. I bet there is less than 1 square inch of open area
for each of the inlets, and it is all on the sides of the inlet so that
the gas needs to make a right angle turn through a tiny hole. This is
compared to a cross sectional area of 2.25 square inches PER PIPE on my
'74. The manifold and pipes are all smoothly bent, nice flowing pieces,
but the muffler is garbage.
        Holy constipation, batman! That stock muffler is a LOSER for
horsepower. I would like to keep the stock look, so I was wondering if
anyone had a bolt in replacement that they would recommend. I suppose I
could cut one open, hog out the innards a bit, and weld it shut. Seems
like a lot of work.
        Another thought was to go to a custom exhaust shop and have them
fabricate something that looks stock. I thought a 1 inlet / 2 outlet
Sonic Turbo or Dynomax muffler, with some fabricated adapters, could be
made to look stock from the rear of the car (i.e. have a pair of those
gorgeous outlet pipes made for the non-stock muffler).

        Anyone out there played with this issue? Any neat solutions?

        Thanks,

        Vance