Re: Triumph Radios

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Radios
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:51:02 -0700
        Todd:

        I like the "tint knob" comment. LOL

        As for the junk yards, perhaps people will have better luck than

I did. I tried going that route, and there are very few original radios
left in old TRs. They have either been replaced with newer hardware, or
missing, or are in such poor shape that I found them to be unacceptable.
My local all British wrecking yard has a stack of British radios, only
a few of which are remotely close, and none of them in decent condition.
        In addition, I wanted at least AM/FM (instead of AM only) and I
wanted
one that was a "real" Triumph radio that did not require me to cut up my
center
console. Bottom line is that they are not very common in my experience.
        When I say "real" TR radio, I meant one that BL was actually
installing in our cars. There are plenty of vintage radios that would be
correct
for the period, but not the make/model that BL was using. Best I can
tell
BL used 2 suppliers for North American cars - Audio Vox of Japan, and
Bendix
of the US. Bendix seems to be more common than Audio Vox, but that is
just
my impression.
        In the end, eBay seemed to be the best source. Knowing what I
know now,
I would avoid any of them without knobs. Surprisingly, it was a real
challenge
to find some knobs - No one uses them any more so they aren't being
made. Every
thing is push buttons.
        When I was shopping on eBay a TR radio in good shape went for
$80-100.
Dunno what they are going for now. I am sure I paid too much... Oh well,
you can't put a price on fun...

        Cheers,

        Vance