Re: TR6 mufflers

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 mufflers
From: "Andrew Packard" <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:45:53 -0700
Vance and listers:
An exhaust upgrade was part of my recent engine rebuild/improvement.  I now
have the 6-3-1 Moss Europe pulse header that ends in a 2 1/4" outlet.  I did
not want the obnoxious sound of the free flow systems available, so we
modified the stock stainless muffler.  I ground away the weld of the inlet
pipe of the muffler.  The inlet pipe is also attached at the other side of
the muffler, so we used some big wrenches and twisted the pipe back and
forth until the bottom weld broke off and removed the entire pipe.  The car
was then taken to a tire shop that did custom exhaust work.  They ran a 2
1/4" pipe in two pieces from the header to the stock exhaust that they
modified with a bigger inlet pipe.  The sound is throaty-er, but not nearly
the loudness of the free flow systems that I have heard.  The new inlet pipe
does not go in very far and should not be as restrictive as the stock set
up.  We hoped that the two outlet pipes would help minimized the bottleneck,
but any time the exhaust has to turn 90 degrees, there's going to be some
restriction.  Total cost of the tire shop work was about $200.
Andy
CD6746L