Re: placement of badges & flags

To: <vhalstead@linkline.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: placement of badges & flags
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:06:37 -0000
Virginia Halstead wrote:

> I need help with placing the British Leyland Blue rectangle metal badge
> betw. door and wheelwell.
> Can anyone give me measurements for correct placement? Can anyone site any
> references for finding this info? Unfortunately I forgot to measure b/4
> car was painted.

Saw many of these being applied 'on the line' as the cars were made and I
never recall seeing a mounting jig or any type of template. They put the
badge *about there* - and pressed hard to make it adhere. Sometimes they
didn't press hard enough and it fell off, so someone else replaced it *about
there* and this location was often different to where the man on the line
first placed it. To compound matters, in transit to the docks and dealers,
even more fell off so yet more people had to decide where their *about
there* location was. There was a story within BL that these badges were the
'fastest moving' of any part in inventory and there must still be millions
of them around the world in the oddest of places - except attached to the
cars they were designed to receive

Jonmac.