RE: Rear end Twitch/Sway bar discussion

To: 6pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, michael lunsford
Subject: RE: Rear end Twitch/Sway bar discussion
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:54:24 -0700
>===== Original Message From michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com> =====
>Just for the sake of discussion and noting that my experiences with my TR 6
don't necessarily reflect those of others I thought I would comment on this
issue.  I did a frame off resto, which included reenforcing the diff mounts
and all new poly bushings in all of the running gear and still have the
twitch.  I currently have 205 X 55 X 16 (205 X 65 X 16 would have been better)
with Panasport wheels and still have the twitch.  There was a sort of
concensus from past discussions of this issue on the list that this was just
an inherent trait of the 6s IRS rear suspension.  If it's not I would like to
know how to correct it since every time I really get on it from 2nd to 3rd I
still get the twitch.  It's not a real problem but it still gets my attention
when it happens.

>Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6

Mike, Do you feel the twitch after exiting a tight corner and hard on the
throttle from second to third or anytime when your hard on the throttle from
second to third? Also, you don't mention if you have a rear sway bar or not.
 I only ocassionally feel the twitch when hard on the throttle after a 90
degree corner and hard throttle from second to third, not in sweeper
situations. I don't have a rear sway bar either. The twitch I feel is believed
to be from the rear axle shafts splines locking up momentarily.
 Another TR twitch discussed is the instability on entering a corner with
speed when the rear tires try to follow different paths. That twitch should be
gone with improved bushings in the rear trailing arm. At least it was with my
TR6.

 I'm just guessing here but Richards twitchiness, instability, could be caused
by rear shocks at too light of a setting or an un-equal setting with his rear
sway bar. If his diff is stock it could also be contributing. If one drive
wheel is getting loaded more than the other and the damping is not right it
could exaggerate, transfer of suspension movement through the rear bar. A
limited slip diff might distribute the power more evenly to reduce the side to
side difference. Depending of course on rear bar stiffness and shock valveing.
I believe he said it improved when he increased the damping on his AVO's on
the conversion.

 Like I said, just guessing. No direct experience with a rear sway bar on a
TR6. I'm also not a suspension guru but it would be interesting to get some
discussion going on this.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO