TR6 died while driving and now won't start

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 died while driving and now won't start
From: "Chris Jolly" <jollycj@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:37:07 -0800
First let me start by saying I am a beginner/novice when it comes to
cars. So over the weekend while driving my 1970 TR6 home from friends it
just died while on route, always a fun experience.  All of sudden the
car jerked a little bit then started to backfire then I felt a loss of
power and then according to my wife some smoke billowed out of the
exhaust..  After fiddling under the hood and attempting to
unsuccessfully to restart the car I had it towed home. Now I'm looking
for some suggestions on how to determine how serious this maybe and some
things to check for.

I'll start with a little history to provide some background info. The
car was sitting on the side of the previous owner's house for about
three years when I bought it a year ago.  He did say it was running fine
before he parked it but who knows. Since it was now inoperable my
brother in law towed it to his body shop and we did the following:

Flushed the full lines

Blew out the gas tank

Replaced the fuel pump & fuel filter

Replaced the oil and filter

Changed the spark plugs

Replaced the battery

Once this was complete we were able to get it started and drove it
around the block.  After that I had it taken to a local British Mechanic
to give it a once over. He checked the engine compressions etc. and said
overall it's in decent shape.  Then I had him perform the following:

Install Oil filter adapter kit

Install clutch slave cylinder per his recommendation

Install points and condenser set - tune everything up

Install new alternator belt - he did say a rebuild would be needed
sometime in the future

Replace various hoses and flush the radiator

Repack front bearing per his recommendation

Since then I have rebuilt one of crabs and have drove the car about a
total of 300 miles or so with no problems to speak of.

So here's what I've done since the weekend to try and get it restarted:

Tried jumpstarting

Fully charged the battery

Confirmed fuel is getting to the crabs

Checked fuel filter

Tinkered with crabs

The cars has turned over a couple of times but died right away and it
back fired.  I'm assuming the next logical step might be to check for
spark but then again this is new to me.  So that's why I'm now
soliciting suggestions and help on how to go about diagnosing the
problem.  I apologize for the length as I know it's long.

Chris Jolly

1970 TR6

jollycj@comcast.net