RE: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend
From: JDombey@dotcast.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:04:41 -0800
Barry may be pulling your leg about these appearing in 250s and early TR6's,
but I seriously doubt it - he tends to be very knowledgeable on the subject
of Triumphs (pretty much any model too...).  Book-ended veneer is not at all
uncommon - our '86 Jaguar dash came that way (as did many earlier jags), and
our dining room table is another fine example of the practice.  Even if it's
not original to the car, it's worth saving just cuz it's pretty.

John Dombey
'69 TR6 / '81 TR8

---------------------------------

> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:02:53 -0800
> From: "Michael Corbitt" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
>Subject: Repairing Plywood Dashboard - What's a Bookend

> Perhaps, I'm the uniformed one here, or someone is playing a joke on me.
When I
> look at my dashboard, I see a thin vertical line in the middle of the dash
that goes top
> to bottom. I always assumed a previous owner had attempted to redo the
dash, but was
> told by Barry Nelson at the Portland All British meet this last year that
this dashboard
> appeared in some TR250s and early TR6's. Basically, Barry indicated that a
piece of
> veneer is split in half and then unfolded like a book so both sides of the
dash have identical
> wood grain patterns. At least this is what I understood Barry to tell me.
He said this is
> something I should try to repair as opposed to replace. Is my leg being
pulled here?