RE: Amazing Diesel Engine

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Amazing Diesel Engine
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:40:13 -0600
I didn't catch the purpose of these engines on the page but they look like
diesels used in ocean going freight ships and such. I have also seen cylinders
with doors in them so you could walk in and scrub down the walls. Bores over
six feet in diameter. The engineering sections on old diesel freighters are
truly amazing, most of what we would consider engine internals being out in
the open. Also on ship engines, if you want to see some amazing torque figures
out of "small" packages, look into tug boats. Their engines, combined with
their low speed - high power "screws"(propellors) generate some astounding
force capability.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>===== Original Message From Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com> =====
>Alright, I know this isn't TR-related, but it's so damn cool, I just
>knew most of you would marvel at it.  Imagine an engine with cylinder
>bores of over 3 feet, and stroke over 8 feet.  Each cylinder is 1820
>LITERS (as in, 1.8 million cc's), and you can have up to 14 cylinders
>(25.5 BILLION cc's), at which point you're generating 108,920 hp and
>over 5 and a half MILLION lb/ft of torque. Oh yeah, and it turns at a
>leisurely 102rpm.  Check out the pictures. Yeah, I always use 3 guys
>and a CRANE when installing main bearings... And for God's sake, look
>at that crank!  Awesome.
>
>http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
>
>Tim Holbrook
>1971 TR6