clutch fork woes`

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch fork woes`
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:55:56 EST
Hi all,
Just when all was going so well...I've taken everyones advice and have
replaced all parts related to the clutch actuation mechanics  ie fork pins,
shaft, bell housing bushings, bearing.  I opted for the Koyo bearing (I hope
this ultimately is not a mistake) which I bought from BPNW.  It came
installed on the carrier.  I bought new fork pins and a new shaft fromTRF.
The pins look to be the same size as the worn ones I pressed out of the old
fork.  The groove in the carrier for the KOYO bearing is too narrow for the
pins.  Strike one.  I  guess I'll re-use the carrier from the stock bearing.
It seems fine.   The shaft from TRF has the tapered hole drilled 1/4" too
close on the right side.  It's so tight I can't screw in the taper pin, and
the bearing binds.  Someone on the list had warned me about this possibility.
 I should have heeded the warning.  Strike two.  Unfortunately, I'd already
drilled the fork for the additional 1/4" bolt.  The part is now
nonreturnable.  Strike three.
    Questions: 1.   How can I tell if the old carrier for the throw out
bearing is worn?  I                         used a vice to press the old one
onto the KOYO.  I noticed that                        the KOYO carrier does
not have the little pin that holds it against                   the fork pins
to keep the carrier from spinning.  Am I going to have                  any
problems using  my old carrier with the KOYO?  It seems to f
  it fine.
                       2.   Is there a reliable  source  for shafts?  I'd
like to give TRF another                     chance, but I'm running out of
time. I guess I could send them to                  the warehouse with a
ruler to check against the measurements of                        my old shaft
                       3.  Is this "BEAR GREASE" that TRF sent the right
lubricant to use                   on the throw out bearing assembly?  It
seems awfully sticky
Thanks
Joe Davis