RE: Sealing a gas tank

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sealing a gas tank
From: "Chris N. Shively" <b_cshively@cox-internet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:34:14 -0600
Short answer, DO IT YOURSELF.

They sell a "slushing" compound for sealing the inside of the gas tank.  I
got mine from a local Brit parts dealer, but I would bet NAPA or similar
would also have it.  With the tank out and emptied, I put some solvent and
some nails(to break up the rust) in the tank and agitated it.  Of course, MY
agitation was getting all of the nails out because of the baffles inside the
tank.  Then, just pour in the "slushing" compound and slush it over all
inside surfaces.  The compound expands to about 1/16 inch thick and can even
seal minor leaks.  Let it cure and put the tank back in the car.  I did mine
after letting it sit in the garage for about 18 years and haven't had any
problems since.
Chris Shively
69 TR6
CC28237L