RE: Bench racing

To: "'Jim Hill'" <jrhill@chorus.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bench racing
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:22:06 -0500
Jim:

I am not so sure about the weight of the car being irrelevent at top speed.
I seem to remember seeing a clip of Cale Yarborough demonstrating that a
brick can fly as his stock car took off like a bird at 200 mph when the wind
got underneath. Seriously though, without sufficient weight, the wheels are
just going to spin rather than go any faster when the static friction on the
ground equals the wind pressure times cross-sectional area times drag
coefficient.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6 (not in danger of either flying or skidding due to excessive power)