RE: TR6 seatbelts

To: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 seatbelts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:59:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Regarding belts from wrecker yards... while these are a source of parts, I
would like to remind folks that belts made of synthetic materials are very
prone to UV damage and this severely effects the strength of the webbing
material. A parital failure of a belt wen you need it is _not pretty_. A
total failure can be fatal.

While there are no guarantees in life, you can stack the odds in your
favor a bit with new belts. Various rules bodies for motorsports recognize
the potential of belt webbing failure and mandate fairly frequent
replacement. I'm not 100% sure, but I think SCCA is down to 3 years
replacement schedule (all competition belts are marked with date of
manufacture).

Please consider using new belts if possible or rewebbing the old ones if
you can find a suitable company to do the new webbing. This is _not_ a DIY
type job for those frugal folks out there.

$100 for a seat belt is a lot better than DEAD.

Also note - as far as I can figure, the concours folks cannot deduct for
replacement belts... so don't use the excuse that it's not period correct
on this one.

'Nuff said.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |