do it youself lt flywheels

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: do it youself lt flywheels
From: "David Wingett" <elkhorn@core.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:00:42 -0500
    Two posts in one day, gee.
    Before I started buying Alum. Flywheels I made my own.   I would used a
lathe and turned off the face about 1/2".  All the way to the ring gear. You
can take almost 50% of the weight out of one of these boat anchors this way.
        Of course this will move the clutch and pressure plate.  To handle
this make a new throw out bearing slider that has 1/2" more space between the
yoke pin grove and the bearing mounting face.  This is a very simple piece to
make at any mech. shop.
        All said and done, including balancing, $50 maybe and you have a cheep
race flywheel.  I used 2 of these in my first 4 years racing. They worked
great!  In entry level racing every dollar counts.
        David Wingett