Re: Lightened flywheels

To: Ryan Miles <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lightened flywheels
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:51:59 -0500
Well explained Ryan. And from the research I have done , the exact
reasoning has led me to use the aluminum flywheel. The #1 reason is
safety. There is no way I would lighten the stock steel flywheel to that
degree and feel comfortable shifting at 5,500 rpm on a daily basis. The
greater mass on the aluminum wheel is concentrated closer to the center
of rotation .
The questimate on performance improvement is between 2 & 4 tenths in the
1/4 mile. It doesn't sound like ,but to gain that much time from a bolt
on component is impressive. The other benefits are less strain on the
crank.
All this is still research & learning at this stage. I will be able to
give the practical side of this in about two months when the new motor
is in the car. Then I can comment first hand on the differences in
performance & drivability.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.