More frame interior stuff -- powder coat

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More frame interior stuff -- powder coat
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:45:15 -0500
List,

Every time someone talks about powder coating the frame, they say to
first sandblast the frame clean of all rust. I never hear anyone say
just powder coat over the rust -- no problem.

>From that I assume powder coat does not kill or maybe does not even
adhere very well to rust. If that is true, then what about the interior
of the frame??? How do I sandblast the interior of the frame clean of
all rust spores? I think I can't, and if I can't, I don't think I should
cover it over with powder coat. Said another way, if it's not a problem
to cover over the rust on the frame interior with powder coat, them why
not just knock off the loose scale and cover over the frame exterior
rust with powder coat as well.

What about the oil and dust and dirt that may be inside the frame?? Does
powder coat stick to that as well?

I'm starting to have some serious doubts about powder coat and frames --
looks nice on the outside but something doesn't ring true in terms of
what's going on in the frame's interior.

Seems to me that what's going on in the inside is a much bigger concern
that the outside.

Yes/No/Comments??????

Don Malling