Re: Lightening the Flywheel

To: "Triumph List (E-mail 2)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lightening the Flywheel
From: "McMaster, John" <JOHN.MCMASTER@act.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:06:07 +1000
My TR6 has a steel, cross-drilled long nose crank.  I've had all rotating
parts balanced individually (rather than as a rotating mass) with the crank
nitrided and mico-polished.  I run a machined standard (cast) Flywheel
weighing a bit less than 19 lbs with (new) standard flywheel bolts and red
loctite.  This engine (with other modifications) revs to 7000 plus without
any problems.  I'd suggest however, that 14lbs is way too light for the cast
flywheel - it may be OK for the track but no way for the street.....  It'd
be a dog to get off the line!  With very little inertial mass you'd need to
slip the clutch at every take-off.  Not much fun in stop start daily traffic
and a pain in the butt to replace the clutch plate when it wears out
prematurely!  I'd suggest a slightly "heavier" unit and watch that tacho
spin...

John Mc
'71 TR6 PI
'76 Dolomite 1850