Automatic conversion for the little woman

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Automatic conversion for the little woman
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:46:39 EST
Listers:

I have an even sadder (non-Triumph) trans conversion story.  Until recently,
I owned a matched set of 1992 Porsche 968s.  Mine was (and still is) a
6-speed coupe, used primarily at the racetrack.  My wife liked the car but
wanted a convertible, so in 1997 I bought her an incredibly mint 1992 cabrio
with only 3000 miles from an estate.  Because she couldn't shift, I bought a
tiptronic version for her.

The car was amazingly nice, but the 1992 version of the tiptronic was a real
dog.  It took about 3 seconds off the 0-60 time, had a draggy feel, and too
few gears (4 instead of 6).  It was in perfect order, just a primitive
design.  She learned how to shift only a few weeks after we purchased the
tiptronic car.  Eventually, we tried to replace the car with a similar
6-speed cabrio, but couldn't find anything remotely as nice.

I had a superb race prep shop to work with, so I asked the owner about
converting the car to a 6-speed.  He told me it was possible, but had
probably never been attempted.  He ballparked a price of $9-10,000.  I bit
and we located a used trans from a wrecked 1993 model with 17,000 miles.  We
got all the other parts together and they did the work over the winter.  The
final cost, unfortunately, ballooned to $14,000.  The good part is that the
conversion was perfect.  There was absolutely no way to tell that the car
wasn't a factory 6-speed, and it never even needed an adjustment.

However, what we didn't anticipate was that the car was kind of boring even
with a 6-speed.  After barely driving it for about 4 more years, she told me
to sell it and I had to discount it by a couple of thousand dollars because
of the mongrelization of the car.  The good news is that I took the money
(intended as the down payment on a new kitchen) and purchased the TR6 PI with
plenty left over.  The 6 is at least 6 times more fun, and even prettier.

Oh, well...

Michael Samuels