RE: Removal of Thrust Washers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Removal of Thrust Washers
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:32:53 -0500
John,

First things first. Others may disagree, but I base this on fact...and
many engine repairs.

#1 The spec .006-.008 given is a warning zone! It's an ideal target
,especially when assembling a new engine.

#2 endplay that is .002 over spec is no cause for replacement. In fact
the bearing and its' mating surface have worn together. No matter how
smooth this surface may "feel", there will be irregularities. These
humps and valleys will rapidly wear your new thrust bearing, and
possibly destroy it!

#3 A tight engine is not necessarily going to be healthy! I would not
close the tolerance.

#4 The bearing surface on the crank was precision ground. By using a
thicker thrust bearing .005 over, it is assumed that you have had this
surface on the crank re-ground, removing I would guess ".005".

Look at the old thrust bearing that came out with the main cap and look
for, (heat generated), surface cracks. If the bearing is O.K put it back
together. Otherwise the only real fix is to remove the crank and have it
ground.

Jim Swarthout