Re: Ignition shear bolts

To: <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition shear bolts
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:15:16 -0500
John Mitchell asked:

> I'm removing the steering column
> to replace the bushes in my 76 TR6 and have gotten to where the tell me
> to use a chisel to unscrew the shear bolts holding the ignition lock.
> I cant believe it's possible through the speedo opening.  Anybody have a
> better way.  Do I really need to use shear bolts when I put it back
> together.

The bolts are pretty soft, and can be easily cut with a Dremmel.
Afterwards, I replaced them with Allen-head bolts, which makes them easy to
insert/remove.  The shear-head bolts were there to stop car thieves from
removing the steering-column lock.  This is not much of an issue today, as
who wants to steal a TR6?  Most thieves want to drive the car away, not push
it!

Shane Ingate in Maryland