RE: Matching #'s and car values

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Matching #'s and car values
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:57:22 -0600
I agree with Walt. Matching numbers started because there were way too many
cheap cars being turned into expensive cars -- Pontiac Tempests became GTOs,
6-cylinder Camaros became SSs, etc. There was (and probably still is) quite
a cottage industry doing those upgrades.

Documenting matching numbers provided the answer to the question "How did
the manufacturer build this car?"

In the case of our cars, the manufacturers mostly built everything with
pretty much the same engines and transmissions.

If I were rebuilding a Jaguar E-Type roadster for $50,000, I'd probably want
the block to have the right number for the year. But on a TR, I don't think
it's going to make much difference.

--Graham