paint

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: paint
From: "Knight, James" <James.Knight@purchase.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:55:43 -0500
Shane:
I did a lot of reading and talking to paint shop guys before deciding what
paint to use on my car.  Single stage enamels cannot be polished
indefinitely as there is only a very thin layer at the top of the paint film
hard enough to buff up to a high gloss.  This is why it can't be "color
sanded' to take out all variations in the surface like you can with lacquer.
Some acrylic enamels (if I remember correctly, PPG Delstar is one) can be
used as one part or with the addition of a "hardener", which makes them more
amenable to serious polishing, but still not comparable to true two-part
systems. The paints that best combine the "color sand and buff" potential of
lacquer and the durability of enamel are the two-part paints (also the most
poisonous, so read the MSDS, follow the manufacturer's recommendations,
etc.).

On this subject, someone emailed me about paint in response to the email I
sent to the list, but I accidentally deleted it and my answer when I meant
to send it.  I can't remember who emailed me, but if you still want an
answer, email me again and I will get right back to you.

Jim Knight