Greater than 9.5 compression ratio

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Greater than 9.5 compression ratio
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 15:41:00 -0500
List,

A very knowledgeable person told me that I should not go higher than
9.5:1 with standard (cast iron?) pistons. He said the unleaded gas burns
much hotter, and increasing the compression ratio beyond 9.5:1
could/would increase the piston temperature to undesirable levels --
could damage the pistons -- maybe warp them?

Anyone heard of anything like that?

The guy who said it is probably on the list so... I'm not trying to
start anything, but just have never heard that before, and was about to
go to 9.8:1 and wondered if there was general agreement on not exceeding
9.5:1 because of combustion temperature.

Thanks,

Don