Re: What SUs are these?

To: KEschhofen@aol.com
Subject: Re: What SUs are these?
From: Terry Geiger <twgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:07:58 -0600 (CST)
Kevin,

I can't help you with the numbers but it sounds like you have some
HS6's from a Volvo B18.  In the Volvo, the carbs sit at a steeper
angle than on a TR6 so the float bowls are offset to allow for this.
The float bowls should hang straight down, not tilted toward the
engine.

It is preferable to replace the float bowls with those from an MGC as
the MGC had a very similair arrangement as the TR6 as far as the angle
of the carbs are concerned.  The MGC bowls have a different offset and
a different depth to allow the fuel level to be correct in the jet.
If you don't swap the bowls the fuel level will not be correct in the
jet (too high I believe in your case) and you'll have a bear of a time
getting the SU's adjusted.  SU's are designed to have the fuel at a
certain height in the jet and if the fuel bowl isn't correct then the
fuel level in the jet won't be correct either.

Joe Curto can provide the correct fuel bowls and he can also identify the part
numbers for you (usually from memory!).  Joe also has the throttle linkages to
connect the TR6/TR250 throttle linkages.  NFI, etc.

http://www.joecurto.com/

I ran some SU's on my TR6 for over a year and I was quite please with
them.  They do run better than the Strombergs.  The downside is they
tend to leak fuel around the "banjo" fitting where the fuel line from
the jet connects to the fuel bowl.  Fuel leaks over an exhuast
manifold always makes me nervous so pay special attention to this.
The Strombergs are not as prone to leakage as long as you keep the
o-ring around the plug in the bottom of fuel bowl in good condition.

My car is a daily driver so I finally put some Weber downdrafts for ease of
maintenance/reliability reasons.  They run very well without the problem of
fuel leaks and they're very easy to tune.  I still have the original strombergs
and I'll put those back on if I ever decide to try and build a show car
(extremely unlikely).

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
1974 TR6 Mimosa Yellow w/dual weber downdrafts
Quoting KEschhofen@aol.com: