Re: Tranny troubles

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny troubles
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:43:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Paula J. Graffam wrote:

> Listers
> I'm currently experiencing trouble getting into reverse. Symptoms include
> severe grinding.  The way around this is to turn off the engine and put
> it into reverse.  However, this does not happen all the time.  I'm not an
> expert at troubleshooting so any advice is appreciated.  I hate this
> !@#$% trannny !
>
> P.S.  I also occasionally get minimal grinding in other gears as well.
>
> Al Graffam  74TR6  CT.

Your clutch is "dragging". Investigate as to why the clutch does not
completely disengage.

If the clutch does not release, everything in the gearbox is spinning.
Quite frankly, it's pretty hard to get things to work in there when all
the gears are working against you. The one exception to this is a person
who is truely a "tranny master" who is one with the tranny and capable of
clutchless shifts. Reverse without clutch disengagement is virtually
impossible.

I say check out the clutch.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |