Re: Home welder

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Home welder
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:27:35 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Congrats on purchasing the welder.

Don't forget the keyword is SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.

Use safety glasses when grinding (I can tell you first hand that a sliver
of steel in your cornea is extremely unpleasant!) Actually, I can tell you
that twice. Me and the opthimologist were on a first name basis for a
while.

Use ear plugs or other hearing protection when grinding. I have about 40
db hearing loss in my left ear (well, I have to admit that 35 years of
rock and roll (I play the drums and bass) and a demonstrated addiction to
race cars have also played into this), but grinding is WICKED LOUD. Note:
New England Euphamism.

Get several pairs of leather gloves (like Mechanix brand). I saved myself
from over 10 serious burns when I put my hand down to catch my balance
right after welding a section of body. The glove smoked and my hand was
saved. Third degree burns are no fun.

Despite all the precautions you take, you'll be amazed at the injuries
that you can get doing this stuff. The "most fun" is the red-hot "blob" of
steel that gets into your sleeve when you're lying on your back. WOW! Hint
- DON'T MOVE, THAT WAY YOU LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF 3RD DEGREE BURNS THAT YOU
GET!

It's all great fun, but I'm serious about the safety aspect. You simply
cannot be too safe doing this stuff.

regards,
rml
p.s. and get the flammable liquids out of the garage if you can! I had a
rag catch fire the very first time I used my welder! It was probably 5
feet from where I was welding. Life's been good to me, so far!
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |