RE: Water pump questions

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Water pump questions
From: "Pappin,Ian" <ianp@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:11:01 -0600
Hi Richard,

I had an old vehicle years ago that had a water pump that seized outright on
me.  Water poured out of a hole in the pump similar to your discription.  I had
a mechanic that explained to me that these holes are specifically for this
purpose.  When the pump fails or seizes up then the temperature of the metal on
the inside of this hole is designed to melt and vent the water out relieving
pressure and letting you know there has been a failure - aka steam bath!  I
can't help you as to how it should be oriented.

Hope this is what you are talking about, if not, sorry.

Ian P 76 TR6