Turn Signal Fixed/PCV System Question

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: Turn Signal Fixed/PCV System Question
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:51:24 -0400
Well, I finally got my turn signals working consistently. They have been
intermittent since I got the car. After monkeying around with the lights,
sockets, wiring, and flasher, I finally, finally decided to take a look at
the switch. Guess what? It was the switch. A very poor soldering job to
repair the switch had been done. I'm not sure how it's supposed to look, but
small sheet metal screws were turned into the through holes for the wires
coming off of the switch. Wires were then soldered to the screws! I had to
drill out a rivet to dismantle the switch, clean it up the contacts, remove
the blobs of solder, and solder new wires in. I replaced the rivet with a #6
screw. Now it works like a charm.

Now a question. I still have an inconsistent idle speed. Runs great
otherwise. I rebuilt the Stromberg carbs a couple of months ago. No vacuum
leaks anywhere I can find (with carb cleaner or propane). I have the carbon
canister disconnected. The breather tube from the valve cover goes to a tee
and then to both carbs. Now, I discovered when I pinch the tube from the
valve cover, the idle goes up a bit and becomes more consistent. Could this
modification to the plumbing be causing my problem? Do I need a real PCV
valve?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6