Re: J-Type Overdrive in an A-Type Frame

To: theedge@cts.com, ROVER827@aol.com
Subject: Re: J-Type Overdrive in an A-Type Frame
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:59:41 -0400
Richard,

Last winter, I took on that project.  Stuck a J-Type in my TR250.  I've seen
about 3 methods.

1 Get the mounting pieces from a late frame & have them welded into the
correct spot on the early frame.
2 Fabricate a couple of pieces of angle iron to essentially move the mount
back...see www.buckeyetriumphs.org
3 Buy a conversion from RimmerBros.  (this is what i did for about 75.00).
There are 2 major pieces that you get in the kit.  A bracket that uses the
existing early frame mount & a mount that installs in the rear of the j-type
o/d.  This mount kinda looks like a yolk.  They ship a few studs that are
installed in the rear of the o/d unit.  The mount sits down in a type of
cradle.  When I received all the parts, I scratched my head for a while, but
a bit of fitting & it does work.  One thing though.  The drive shaft rubs
the tunnel cover(sometimes).  There are probably ways to correct that, but
at the time, I just wanted to drive!

Been drivin' the car ever since!

Todd
CD3705L(O)

>From: theedge@cts.com
>To: ROVER827@aol.com
>CC: 6pack@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: J-Type Overdrive in an A-Type Frame
>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:21:34 -0700
>
>I had a J type in my A type frame and have since gone back to an
>A type.  To fit the J type, the rear mounts have to be cut away.
>Also I have a bracket, actually an engine mount that has been
>welded to the correct length that sits across the rear brackets.
>Everything set well.
>
>Alan
>
>On 16 Oct 2002 at 22:16, ROVER827@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Has anyone installed a J-Type Overdrive in an A-type frame?
> > If so, how did you do it?
> >
> > Richard TRuett
> > 1971 TR6

>Alan & Debbie Lindner
>theedge@cts.com

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.