Clutch travel

To: "'Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Clutch travel
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:31:41 -0400
OK , I know there have been countless posts on clutch travel &
engagement problems but I thought I had it beat. About 5 months ago I
sheared the clutch fork pin. After removing the trany I made the proper
repairs & added a second bolt through the fork. After assembly the
transmission would not shift properly after a few moments of driving, I
had to move the slave cylinder rod to the top hole on the fork arm & all
was perfect. Recently the clutch engagement seems to change & the
clutch  also seems to hang & slip occasionally till I depressed the
pedal again. The symptom does not appear to be the "sticky clutch"
because there is no bang or snap when the pedal is pressed. The pedal is
always smooth.
I am in the process of pulling the engine for a rebuild so after pulling
the trany I fully expected the for pin to be sheared & the back-up bolt
doing all the work but to my surprise both were perfect. Now I have no
idea what the inconsistent engagement is caused by. The TO bearing
carrier seems to be a little sloppy on the trany front end cover nose &
the fork pins that ride in the carrier have flattened about 1/8" from
perfectly round 5 months ago. I am using the Toyota TO bearing and it
has performed perfectly and shows no sign of wear, noise or scoring the
pressure plate fingers.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Mitch Seff