Re: Triumph Wins

To: StangGuy67@aol.com
Subject: Re: Triumph Wins
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:42:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 StangGuy67@aol.com wrote:

> Good job, Bob. It's been 25 years or so since I was in the SCCA-what are the
> qualifications for F Prepared?

I'm just responding to this one because near as I can tell, I'm the only
Bob with an FP TR6 autoxer on this list...

F Prepared rules allow internal engine mods (with limits - .047 max
overbore, valves must be the same size as stock etc.), suspension mods,
gears and slick tires (limited to 15X7" wheels, so we run "cantilever" 9
inch wide slicks.) We also have min. weight limits, 2000 lbs with
Webers, 1900 lbs with SU's or Z.S.'s. That's the short version. I can
elaborate if needed.

Truth be told, you can make a TR6 pretty darned fast just by playing with
the suspension a little bit (good shocks, lowering (within reason),
f/r bars and brake pads), but to make the car reliable, some of the stuff
you need to do technically places you out of Street Prepared into
prepared. For example, technically speaking - boxing the front diff mounts
is not a legal SP mod. Go figure. I was originally going to build my car
for FSP, but I had trouble sourcing a few parts for reasonable money (like
a complete interior) and then wound up hooking up with a bunch of racers
who had parts that are SP illegal (like a 12:1 head and 4.88 gears etc.)
and found it much more satisfying to purchase "real race parts" than some
of the other stuff. It was all downhill from there! My $5k project soon
turned into $10k of parts before I even turned a wrench! I then spent two
years in the garage working on the thing.

But once you get the suspension sorted out, then going into the engine for
a little more power yields dramatic effect. For example, I've got a warmed
over engine (.040 over, 11:1, 270 cam with .400 lift, Webers) that is
probably in the 150 HP range. When you add gears - it's amazing how fast
the car accelerates!

In autox, the only driver qualifications are a valid driver license, a
helmet and whatever the entry fee is. It helps if you have a pulse.

:-)

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

But if you have specific questions, I'd be glad to help. In fact, I'd love
to see more FP TR6's out there. I think that a well sorted TR6 is a real
"threat" in this class at the National level, even considering that
competition is huge $$$ Porches and BMW M3's. And if you skip the national
competition thing, the joy level of driving one of these things at the
limit is almost indescribable.

> Kraig Griffiths
>
> 74 TR6

C ya,
rml
'74 TR6 (original owner)
'73 TR6 (race car)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |