Re: Pathedic clutches/ transmissions

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Pathedic clutches/ transmissions
From: Shawn Loseke <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:03:07 -0600
On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 07:02 AM, Paula J. Graffam wrote:

> Listers,
> After having an entire clutch system replaced one year ago with NEW
> everything, I am now dealing with the dreaded wining sound of the NEW
> throw-out bearing-not to mention the typical, miserable operation of the
> gear-box that will not allow me to go quickly from 1st to 2nd and seems
> to have a mind of its own whether it wants to go to 4th and stay there,
> etc. . . . sound familiar?  Others have told me so!

The poor quality throw out bearings have been discussed for years. TRF
is offering better ones, the Toyota one works well and the German one
discussed recently sounds promising.

As far as the fourth gear thing, that sounds like internal gearbox
trouble.

Fast shifting? If you expect these transmissions to shift like modern
ones, you are living a serious pipe dream. It might be in a car from the
seventies, but the transmission was designed in the fifties. That means,
if you want to shift fast, better warm up that left leg for double
clutching.

> The recent words of wisdom from one of our sage listers says it
> all . . .
> something like-   " welcome to the world of TR6 trannies"!  My response
> is - why do we put up with it when it can be corrected?  For those who
> love originality, you can stay miserable - I've had it!  I'd rather risk
> a conversion to a Toyota system in spite of the fact that the "jury is
> still out".  For the amount of times some of us have had to do a rip
> out,
> what's the difference?

Like any mechanical item, transmissions wear out, they have bearings and
synchro's etc...   The top cover, that holds the shift rails can also
wear out of adjustment. Which will also lead to shifting problems. After
completely reconditioning a non-OD transmission, as well as the top
cover, (new detent springs, shims, seals, etc...). I can personally
attest to the smooth, positive shifting of a TR Transmission. Quick
shifting no, it's an archaic gearbox, with only a single synchro/gear
set up. Many newer ones have multiple synchro's/gear.

   If you have trouble shifting, it could be more than the clutch. Look
to the condition of the entire gearbox, how many miles on it etc...

> For those of you who have converted - speak up so we can hear how your
> doing -both plus and minus. The information needs a good hearing.  This
> winter my pathedic tranny moves out and Toyota moves in . . . what do I
> have to loose?

Don't get me wrong Al, I'm no concourse supporter (just look at my car).
In my opinion, you have nothing to lose by converting to a Toyota five
speed. I'm considering it myself.
TR gearboxes are not supposed to be that difficult to deal with. They
were not designed to be a pain in the A**.  Many people assume too
quickly that because it is British, it's of poor design. Like the poor
reputation the Zenith Strombergs have. When they are rebuilt correctly,
they perform very nicely. When they are worn out, they are horrible. It
disgusts me that people will replace tired ZS's with brand new SU's and
then claim that all ZS's are junk. But that is another thread entirely.

Don't let a worn out item set the standard.

> Al Graffam  TR6 French Blue  CT.

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6