Powdercoated TR6 body shell

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Powdercoated TR6 body shell
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:27:11 -0400
All,

My TR6 body shell came back from the powder-coaters yesterday.  All panels
were removed from the car (except valences).  The shell was media-blasted
and powder-coated, and the results are spectacular!  It turned out far nicer
that we had anticipated, and looks way too nice to put back together again!

As I am painting the car black (the secret is out!), I used 95% black + 5%
grey for the powder.  I was advised by the painters not to use 100% black
because of the risk of lemon-peel.  The results are a rich, very-deep black
that is almost indistinguishable from high-quality paint.  The smoothness
was obtained by baking the car for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Just like baking chocolate-chip cookies!

What is so nice about the powder-coating is that all the spots that are
almost impossible for a spray-gun to shoot have been coated (e.g., under the
dash, inside the door rails, under the rear deck, etc).

I would not advise this for the concourse-oriented, but for those that
really use their cars, this might be an option.

Cost?  $850 for blasting and powder-coating from American Strippers in
Virginia.  I will be painting the external panels of the car, but the
interior/boot/engine bay/inner-fenders/underneath will be rust and
chip-resistant powder-coat.  No wheel-well coating on this car!

Exterior panels (fenders, door-skins, boot, bonnet, hardtop) will be
painted.

I welded gussets to the chassis the other day, including:
    - front lower-A-arm
    - steering-rack supports
    - differential carriers
    - rear upper-coil plate, for the Revington coil-over conversion
    - applied continuous bead to tack-welds
    - additional gussets to the trailing-arm beam carrier

The estimate to blast and powder-coat the chassis is $500, and should be
ready by the end of the week.

I'll post pix on my website when I get the film developed.

Shane Ingate in Maryland