RE: rear speaker install

To: "'Russ Pagano '" <pagano@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: rear speaker install
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:21:01 -0400
I have a Pioneer 200 W CD-stereo (4x50W) connected to 2 x 4 1/2" speakers in
the front side panels and 2 x 6 1/2" speakers in the rear panel down low. I
cut small crescents out of the gussets to slip the magnets into the space
between gussets and gas tank. Speakers are attached to the rear panel, not
the gusset, so I can remove the panel without disturbing the speakers. I
have a roll bar, so I didn't want to lose any more space from the parcel
shelf. These units are nicely protected by the bar and since they sit below
the top are easily heard top up or down.

The front speakers are set into round ice cream containers which I siliconed
into place extending into the void between the tub and the outer wing panel.
A must-do for sound containment and rainproofing as the car has water
running down the outside of the tub in that region.

The sound of the unit is excellent at all speeds. The bass absolutely thumps
me in the back at highway speed with the unit set a 50%. It is clearly
audible on the highway even with the top down and the cover not properly
stowed up under the top (i.e. hanging down straight). I have the Moss sport
(falcon) exhaust which is not dead quiet at highway speeds.  I cannot run
the system over 75% without starting to go deaf. On the highway I typically
run the unit at 15/40 for top up and 20-22/40 for top down. 26/40 is for the
Stones "Satisfaction" and a clear road ahead.

Setting the internal equaliser to focus the high frequencies at the front
and the low at the rear has a tremendous impact on sound "fullness".

I am sure everbody has their favourite manufacturers, but I must say that I
am very happy with the Pioneer unit. (D?H3300 , Can't remember model number
right off). I liked the fact that the volume knob was still a round turning
adjustment, even though all the other adjusters were pushes and arrows. It
make adjusting the sound right by the knee very simple to do without
looking. The TR6 is a difficult car do drive well when you are busy peering
at these little arrow buttons in the dark.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6