RE: rear end clunk?

To: "'Ryan Miles '" <rjhmile@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: rear end clunk?
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:27:33 -0500
 i'd check the u-joints again ... the first time I did my own, I  was not
100 percent sure that I got them squeezed in with all the needle bearings
lined up properly (meaning, if I didn't get it right, that early failure was
likely). I'll never know because I had to sell the car (for unrelated
reasons!).

also, even if you did it right, the U-joints are notorious for failure,
especially on the rear drive shafts.

hopefully, by jacking up one wheel at a time, with engine in gear, and
turning the "free" wheel, you'll be able to hear the clunk before you have
to start disassembling things.

Graham