Re: rear end clunk?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Ryan Miles" <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: rear end clunk?
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:53:29 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Miles" <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear end clunk?

> List,
>
>     My TR6 is on its second summer since a complete chassis and mechanical
rebuild. I am begining to notice a clunk coming from the rear end and I am
not sure exactly what the problem is. The car has a fast road engine in it
that at best guess makes  ~140 horse at the crankshaft (The G-tech I have
said 135 at the rear wheels). I do not "baby" the car. Don't get me wrong, I
don't abuse it, but I do run it in local SCCA solo events, and I do enjoy a
"spirited" drive.

>    The clunk is not extremely loud, and it only shows up when you change
the direction of the torque of the driveline (ie. accelerating, then
decellerating, then accelerating again).

> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
>       Ryan Miles

Ryan,

Sometimes we overlook the obvious.  Consider the following:

Several months after purchasing a car a friend started to hear a clunk from
the rear.  It quickly developed into a loud Clunk at stop signs.  She called
the dealer and took it in.   She insisted she take a maintenance man for a
test drive and sure enough, when she stopped at the edge of the dealer's lot
before entering the highway  ---- whoop & CLUNK from the rear.  She turned
around, and drove back to the maintenance department, satisfied she had
demonstrated the terrible problem.  They drove her to work.

Many hours later the dealer called my friend at work.  The guy said he had
good news and maybe not so good news.  The good news was that they had found
the problem right after she left.  The not so good news was that the problem
was her bowling ball.

(It is my guess that it took so long to call her because they couldn't stop
laughing.  You may speculate as to her hair color)

So Ryan, have you checked you trunk?????

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)