Re: Starter relay and window seal question

To: "Phillip J. Pallone" <ppallones@core.com>
Subject: Re: Starter relay and window seal question
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:50:26 -0500
Phillip,

Glad you are enjoying your TR. Welcome aboard!

1. The seals are most easily done if you can pull the door panels and
drop the window glass down into the bottom of the door, although it can
be done with patience , a long magnet (to pick up the dropped clips),
and a tool bent to hold the clips as illustrated in the Hayne's book. If
you don't have a Hayne's , I can copy the dimensions and e-mail you with
it.

Some tips:

1. I like to bend out the lips of the inner seal clips slightly before
installation to make it a little easier to pop in the seal. I install
the clips to the door first, then use the tool to hold up on each clip
as I work down the door, engaging the rounded metal edge of the seal in
the clips.

2.  Be sure to fit and trim the outer seals before starting to clip them
in. Work from end to end, working a clip into place with the tool, and
holding down -pressure on the seal as you pull the clip in place,
tilting the top of the tool slightly towards the window glass as you
engage the seal and door simultaneously.

3. I have found the best source for wiring diagrams to be the owners
manuals for the specific years. All other sources have errors for
particular years... especially the 74. My personal shop manuals are full
of notes concerning errata.(You may also find that your trunk light is
wired different than the manual you are looking at says.)

Triumph was notoriously careless about how they documented changes.
You'll want to examine a 73 and a 75 owner's manual to determine just
what you may have.

Good luck, Jim