Re: TR6 mods.

To: Bernie <bernd.vabeach@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 mods.
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:57:32 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Bernie wrote:

> running a Monza system, I think the TR sounds great with this system , never
> had a lick of problem with it.
> Bernie
> 74   TR6
> CF20268U

Hi Bernie,

I'm glad you've never had a problem with your Monza system.

I've owned my TR6 since new in 1974. I've had all sorts of exhaust systems
on the car, from Midas to Walker to Monza. I've also worked on a lot of
other people's cars with all the above - so my statement is fairly
"qualified".

Sure the Monza system fits, but you need to do a lot of tweaking to get it
in "right". Almost everyone I know with these systems does the same
thing... they get it installed, a pipe hangs down here or a muffler sits
too low in the back. They jack them up, the loosen the clamps, they jiggle
things around, they re-tighten and then repeat. And then you need to do a
repair (like fix the differential) - ooops - the whole exhaust system has
to come out.

I recall helping Steve Toth ('68 TR250) at the '96 VTR with a driveshaft
problem... what a pain getting stuff done _around_ the Monza exhaust. No
thanks! I won't do that again.

But the original question was about _performance_. If you want "real
performance" from your exhaust system, you can do a lot better with other
systems than the Monza and for not much more $$$ when you get the thing
installed.

That was the point I was making.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |