Re: TR6 mods.

To: Eric Myracle <eric_myracle@geocities.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 mods.
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:49:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Eric Myracle wrote:

> Robert -

Hello.

> If Monza is not a "good" exhaust system, could you elaborate on what
> is?  (I have no feelings one way or the other about Monza - I'm just
> curious and don't want to waste money on something that's not
> worthwhile).

Monza parts are cheap. The quality control is lousy. The parts don't fit
without a lot of fettling.

Then they don't flow optimally, owing to the poor choice of pipe sizes and
fittings.

Other than that, they are okay.

Basically, they are crap.

How's that?

If you are dead-set on Monza, find a club memeber who bought a system and
decided it was too loud or didn't make the car perform the way they
wanted... I bought a setup a couple of years ago fo $50 from the downpipe
to the tailpipe. That'a bit cheaper than the $180 or so from one of the
big three.

There's a reason why people dump their Monza systems.

> BTW, on the other list I'm on (Volvo P1800) K&N filters are generally
> frowned upon, based on lack of real evidence of power increases plus a
> filter element that actually allows more fine stuff through it (these
> are not my assertions - I'm just repeating what I've read; I've got a
> K&N on one of my Volvos, and I like it).

Well, you have to decide. Do you want power or do you want filtering?

If you want evidence as to whether they work or not, look at any of the
magazines that do dyno tests - there is almost always an increase in power
with K & N's over stock filters. Period.

As for how much crap you pump through the engine... I've been using K &
N's on my street TR6 for 6 years. The motor has been apart for various
reasons on two occasions. I found no eveidence of problems from "dirt"
in there. That's with something like 30k miles in that period.

> Anyway, my '70 TR6 has what I assume is a stock system on it now.  It
> sounds good but not great, and is large enough diameter to make me
> feel like it flows pretty well.  Short of eliminating the muffler
> althgether, what other good options are there?

I'm a big fan of custom exhausts. Get a good header, make a 2.5" pipe from
the collector back with as few bends as possible (ala the "Comp. Prep.
Guide") and add a "turbo style" muffler in the back. It'll flow great and
be fairly quiet (depending on the muffler).

I've been using a "Bullet" brand stainless muffler on the race car - it's
fairly quiet except when you really stand on the load pedal. Even then,
it's still under 95dba (which we have to meet at more than one location
that we use for autocrossing in the New England area... Most of the "brand
names" will work okay (that's Dynomax, Flowmaster etc.)

> Thanks,
>
> Eric in Atlanta

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |